The Gulf of Georgia Cannery offers a truly unique setting for corporate events, weddings or charity functions. The lofty ceilings and impressive first growth timber beams create a setting attendees won’t soon forget. A waterfront location in the historic fishing village of Steveston and the Fraser River flowing beneath it adds to your memorable occasion.
Weddings & Events
Whether you are a Steveston resident, from a fishing family or that special couple who appreciates a unique ambiance for your wedding, the Cannery offers the perfect setting for your special day. Corporate guests also appreciate the fascinating backdrop and open space in the Cannery.
Large Events – Main Cannery & East Wing
his space encompasses the Lobby and Gift Shop area with washrooms, the Fishing the West Coast Gallery and the large Main Cannery. The Main Cannery includes the Canning Line, Herring Reduction Plant and temporary exhibit space. The exhibits provide an entertaining backdrop and conversation starter for your guests.
Stand up reception – 500 people
Seated dinner – 150 people
$792.50 for 4 hours (5 pm to 11pm) plus incidentals
(Add the Boiler House Theatre or Tank Farm Deck for $50 each.)
Small Events – East Wing and Fishing the West Coast Gallery
The Fishing the West Coast Gallery encompasses the area immediately inside the museum doors, with our impressive Columbia skiff display anchoring a large open area which can be setup with a small stage.
Stand up reception – 200 people
Theatre style seating – 130 people
Seated dinner – 100 people
$594 for 4 hours (5 pm to 11pm) plus incidentals
(Add the Boiler House Theatre for $50 each.)
Outdoor Events – Tank Farm Deck
The Tank Farm Deck is an uncovered deck space facing Steveston Village with a dramatic backdrop of the Cannery’s varied roofline great for a group b-b-q.
Stand up reception – 150 people
Seated dinner – 80 people
$495.30 for 4 hours plus incidentals
Presentations & Lectures – Boiler House Theatre
The Boiler House Theatre provides a cozy space for a seated presentation. The Theatre comes with use of the projection system and screen.
Fixed seating Theatre Style – 50 people
$495.30 for 4 hours (5 pm to 11pm) plus incidentals
For all rentals
Please note due to the historic nature of the building, please remember that no open flames are allowed (this includes candles) and decor may not be attached to the building in any way. As there are no kitchen facilities, caterers must have a mobile kitchen if you wish to prepare hot food.
Film & TV
With its maritime architecture and waterfront setting, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery offers a distinct look for your production. The exterior would be equally at home as a representative of a West Coast or East Coast fishing town. Inside, the monumental scale of the machinery offers a flexible industrial look, while the restored canning line and exhibits offer a museum atmosphere.
The Cannery’s one-storey cinder block administration building is perfect for standing in as a small town police station. Our 75 space parking lot is also available to rent for film shoots happening around the Steveston village.
Creative BC (formerly the BC Film Commission) keeps an extensive photo database of the Cannery, and can be contacted at 604.730.2732
TV and Film Productions that have used the Cannery as a location include:
- Twilight: Eclipse
- Lost Boys 2
- Once Upon a Time
- The Arrow
For information about site use fees and available dates, contact Operations Manager Rob Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-664-9134.
FAQs & Policies
- Rental hours are 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm.
- Take down and clean-up is the responsibility of the renter and must be completed by 11:15 pm.
- Rentals are generally not possible when the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Historic Site is open to the public.
Not included in rental fee:
- Damage deposit (100% of listed rental fee, refundable if no damage caused to building or contents during function)
- Cleaning fee (depending on area rented)
Additional charges will apply if:
- More than two staff are required during the event/function (for events larger than 100 people, additional staff required for each 1- 50 additional persons)
- Any special arrangements requiring extensive set up and /or removal of equipment or exhibits are required of site staff.
- Because the building and much of the contents are historic artefacts, decoration and signage for events is limited to freestanding items. No open flame (i.e. Candles) is allowed, with the exception of standard catering warming flames.
- Renter must obtain third party liability insurance, with a minimum $2,000,000 loss payable per claim.
- Renter must obtain required permits and/or licenses if alcoholic beverages are to be served on site