Join our team of dedicated volunteers who share their passion for history with visitors from all over the world!
Volunteer with the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society and expand your social network, gain valuable work experience, learn about the stories and history of the Cannery amidst picturesque Steveston and connect with your community.
Learn about some of the exciting opportunities — we are currently seeking help with:
- Cannery Farmers’ Market: Join the Cannery Farmers’ Market Team and help out through various opportunities during the season.
- Educational Programs Leader: Join our education volunteer team and help engage young visitors through our various educational programs and tours! Lead programs and tours that teach our young visitors about salmon, the history of Canada’s West Coast fishing industry and more. This role will require additional training and commitment of approximately 3 hours per week.
- Tour Guide: Become a part of our interpretation team and work independently or as part of a team to lead guided tours of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery NHS. Tour guides facilitate visitor experience by providing information and answering questions about the history of West Coast fishing industry, salmon canning, and herring processing. This role will require additional training and commitment of one regular shift per week with some flexibility.
- Gift Shop: Help customers and maintain our diverse array of merchandise we have to offer.
- Oral History Interviewer: Help save the life stories from BC’s fishing and canning industry and interview and record the oral histories.
- Special Events: We are looking for people to join our Special Events team and help with events like the upcoming Canada Day, Music at the Cannery and more! Each event is unique and will have different roles for you to participate in, whether it is engaging youth, managing crowds, or be a friendly greeter to our visitors! Each event will have a pre-event orientation and tends to fall on weekends.
Apply to Volunteer
If you are interested in joining our volunteer team, please fill out our Volunteer Application Form and drop it off at:
Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site at 12138 Fourth Avenue or email email@example.com
For more questions about our opportunities and volunteering with the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 604.664.9261 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.