Society

Society

The primary mandate of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society is to operate the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site on behalf of Parks Canada. Since the 1980s the Society has worked in partnership with Parks Canada to preserve the Cannery facility and is now responsible for the interpretation (tours and educational programs), site promotion and regular maintenance.

In addition to operating the historic site, the Society works to achieve its mission through other activities such as creating annual feature exhibitions related to fishing history and producing events such as the Cannery Farmers’ Market. In all activities, the Society is committed to working with the Steveston community to preserve its fishing heritage and local charm. For more information about future Society activities, read our current Five Year Strategic Plan.

  • CFC-3-11-6
  • CFC-3-15-2
  • CFC-3-21-21
  • G2002.003.001J
  • G2010.027.031

For more information about the Society’s governance, go to the Board Member Reference page.

About Us

The Gulf of Georgia Cannery is located in the fishing village of Steveston the largest commercial fishing port in Canada. The Cannery was built in 1894 and until 1902, was known as the “Monster Cannery” among more than 15 canneries that occupied cannery row on the Steveston waterfront. It is now a national historic site and home to a museum presenting the history of Canada’s West Coast fishing industry.

Established in 1986, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society is an independent non-profit society and registered charity responsible for the operation of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site of Canada on behalf of Parks Canada. With over 250 members, the Society is governed by a board comprised of volunteer directors who bring together a wealth of expertise in community building, British Columbian history, heritage preservation, commercial fishing, business practice, education, and fundraising.

Site by: departmentofpublicimage.com