The Cannery offers a number of fun, informative programs for school groups. All the programs take about 90 minutes and are adaptable to fit the needs and interests of your students. We also have pre-visit packages to help orient your students before their visit to the Cannery. Our school programs include:
- Salmon’s Journey (K-2) Social Studies and Science IRP
- Cannery Quest (Grades 3-5) Social Studies IRP
- Fishy Business: A Century of Change (Grades 3-5) Social Studies IRP
- Cannery Stories (Grades 4-6) Social Studies IRP
- Machines at Work (Grade 5) Science IRP
- Des Poissons et des Conserves (Grades 4-7) French and Social Studies IRP
- Industrial Images: The Art of Machines (Grades 8-12) Visual Arts IRP
This program is new for 2008. Industrial sites have a long history as inspiration for the visual arts. Using our interactive DVD in the classroom, students are introduced to the rewards of exploring an industrial or historic site with an artist’s eye. The Cannery becomes a venue for sketches and photographs leading to art that is relevant in our modern industrial world. Artwork created for this program will be displayed in a travelling exhibit at the Cannery and at Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site
Learn more about our school programs here.
If you’re a teacher in the Greater Vancouver area, you are also eligible for complimentary admission on Saturdays from September to October 6, 2008 and from May to June 2009.
Please contact us at 604.664.9009 or 604.664.9134 to book a school program.