Even with the beautiful weather this autumn, there’s a distinct chill in the air. A sure sign that summer is over: at the market, summer fruits are being replaced by apples and pears. One of my favourite autumn events is the annual Apple Festival at the UBC Botanical Garden that takes place is weekend. Stop by the garden from 11am to 4pm for apple tastings, tips from master gardeners, and to purchase some of the more than 70 varieties of apples available.
In honour of the Apple Festival, this week’s recipe features the lovely fruit. This sweet and savoury tuna salad is delicious when made with BC albacore tuna, a sustainable local product. When buying tuna, remember to avoid canned tuna not labeled as troll- or pole-caught.
Tuna Salad with Apple
- 1 can BC albacore tuna
- 1/2 medium apple, diced small
- 1 rib celery, diced small
- 2-3 tblsp. sweet pickle relish, lightly drained
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tblsp. light mayonnaise
1. Drain the tuna.
2. Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Stir gently to combine.
4. Serve as a sandwich filling or a salad with sliced tomatoes and crackers.
Recipe Source: Never Enough Thyme