My favourite seafood season is coming up – spot prawn season. This sustainable and local seafood option is always on my mind around this time of year; the season is so short and I feel like I have waited forever for this time of year to come around again. It’s like Christmas; it comes but once a year and I eagerly count down the days until it starts. Come May and June on the Pacific coast every year, spot prawns are in season. There’s the spot prawn festival and considerable buzz about where to find the best deals for fresh prawns and how best to prepare your purchase.
My favourite way to have spot prawns is to throw them seasoned right onto the BBQ. They have such a beautiful flavour all on their own, they don’t need much added. Here is a recipe from Sea to Sky Seasonings featuring them in a simple pasta dish.
Spot prawn linguini with citrus salt:
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 pound linguini
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pound of fresh spot prawns, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sea to Sky Seasonings Citrus Salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the linguini to al dente. Drain and reserve a little of the cooking water.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the white wine and reduce to almost dry. Add the whipping cream and reduce until thickened. Toss the spot prawns with the Sea to Sky Seasonings Citrus Salt. and add to the cream mixture. Cook for 2 minutes only; the spot prawns cook very rapidly.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and toss with the linguini and the fresh basil. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if the sauce is too thick. Serve.