Patio weather equals patio fare – simple as that. Get the sunny side of summer started with this scrumptious shrimp salad recipe from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The Aquarium’s Seafood Watch advises shopping for shrimp caught in the U.S. or Canada. Best Choices include spot prawns and wild-caught pink shrimp from Oregon, as well as Thai shrimp and prawns farmed in recirculating systems.
- (Serves 4)
- Coarse kosher salt and black peppercorns
- 1 pound unpeeled shrimp
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce, such as nam pla
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chile sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large firm but ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup grated carrot (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 grapefruit (preferably Ruby Red)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, stacked and thinly sliced
Fill a large saucepan half full with water, season generously with salt and a few pepper corns and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp, making sure they are submerged. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand until just opaque in the center, about 4 minutes. Drain the shrimp, then peel and devein.
Mix the lime juice, grapefruit juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, chile sauce and sugar in a large bowl. Add the shrimp, avocado, carrot and cilantro and mix to coat. Season to taste with salt then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until deep brown and crisp, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Cool.
Cut the peel and white pith from the grapefruit. Cut the grapefruit crosswise into ½-inch wide rounds and remove any seeds. Slice into 1/2-inch wide strips then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch cubes. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Line a platter or individual plates with lettuce leaves. Spoon the grapefruit over the lettuce. Spoon the shrimp salad over, drizzling with any dressing in the bottom of the bowl. Sprinkle with the shallots, peanuts and mint and serve.