Recently, we had the Japanese Community Volunteer Association (Tonari Gumi) come to help us celebrate Culture Days. To promote their Japanese cookbook of traditional recipes, they offered samples of food made from recipes featured in their book. As I am a food lover, I greedily tried each sample, and they were delicious. Today’s recipe, from Tonari Gumi’s Home Away From Home, requires two of my favourite ingredients: prawns and green beans. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. green beans
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb. peeled prawns (optional)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp. black bean sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. miso
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Put sauce ingredients into a food processor and mix until creamy.
- Cut beans in half and fry in vegetable oil over high heat for about 5 minutes.
- If using prawns, add and cook for an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add sauce and cook again for another 2 or 3 minutes. Serve Hot.
If using prawns, a sustainable option local spot prawns.
Home Away From Home cookbook is available in the Cannery gift shop and would make a perfect holiday gift!