It’s (almost!) Labour Day long weekend and what better way to wrap up summer than a gourmet burger filled with freshly caught salmon? Get yourself down to the Steveston Public Sales Float, then give this Bon Appetit recipe, via epicurious, a whirl!
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained small capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared white horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices brioche loaf or egg bread, toasted
- 4 large tomato slices
- 8 radicchio leaves
- tarragon mayonaise
To make burgers:
Combine first 9 ingredients in medium bowl. Add 3 tablespoons mayonnaise and mix well. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Mix breadcrumbs into salmon mixture. Form into four 1-inch-thick patties. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon patties; cook until just firm to touch and brown and crusty, about 3 minutes per side.
Place 1 slice of toast on each of 4 plates. Top each with burger. Spread burgers generously with mayonnaise. Top each with tomato slice, 2 radicchio leaves and second toast slice. Serve immediately, passing remaining mayonnaise separately.