Home Away From Home is a recipe book produced by Japanese-Canadian seniors of Vancouver’s Tonari Gumi (Japanese Community Volunteer Association). Featuring numerous traditional Japanese recipes, this book is a compilation of culinary knowledge passed on from one generation to the next.
The selected recipe of the day comes from this cookbook. If you like clams, give this one a try.
Farmed clams are a sustainable seafood; you could also try it with fresh clams rather than canned ones.
Clam Sauce Recipe:
- 1 can clams (284 ml)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (284 ml)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Drain the clams, but save ¾ cup of the clam juice.
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat and cool clams, garlic and parsley for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup, milk, clam juice and cheese.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Home Away From Home is available at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery store, and proceeds from the cookbook go to Japanese earthquake relief.
Keep and eye out for Culture Days as Tonari Gumi will be at the Cannery offering free samples of dishes featured in the cookbook. Come by the Cannery on October 2nd to taste and to obtain your own copy.