- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled
- 1/2 lb Dungeness crabmeat, picked over for shell fragments
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs of your choice (my favorites are tarragon,chives, and mint)
- Grated zest of 1/2 orange
In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté the onion in 1/2 cup of the olive oil until it is soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the squash and just enough water to barely cover it.
Season the soup generously with salt, bring to a simmer, and continue to simmer until the squash is soft enough to mash easily with a spoon, about 20 minutes.
Drain, then transfer it to a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and purée until it is super fine and silky.
For the garnish, mix the crab with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the shallot, herbs, and orange zest. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt.
Divide the garnish among 4 bowls, then ladle in the soup. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 as a first-course soup.