To celebrate Eating Together, this week we are featuring family recipes!
Lynne has been a long time friend and employee of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery. She writes: “Here is one of my family recipes…we are of Irish descent so on March 17th I always cook corned beef and cabbage. My mother cooked it for me and my brother, and I cooked it for my kids. Now I cook for my grandchildren. It’s a great tradition and we have great memories of these dinners. I would quite often colour the kids’ milk green, which used to creep out my son.”
Scott Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner
- 1 4-5 lb corned beef (spice pack is usually included) put in large pot cover with water. Boil & then simmer on top of stove (I cook this all day). It needs at least 4-6 hrs.
- 1 large turnip
- 1 potato per person
- 2 carrots per person
- 1 whole cabbage
- butter for vegetables – to taste
1) Chop the vegetables into large pieces.
2) I usually put the turnip in the large pot with the corned beef first.
3) When turnip partially cook, put the other vegetables in.
4) Bring pot with beef and vegetables back to a boil, then cook until tender (1/2 to 3/4 hour)
5) 15 minutes before serving, cut whole cabbage into 6- 8 pieces and place them on top of vegetables and corn beef. Simmer until tender.
6) Serve on large platter surrounding corn beef with vegetables. Add lots of butter for vegetables and offer an assortment of mustard for corn beef.